The owner of a large network of political blogs wished to have the ability to track the performance of authors/writers that he employed. This custom WordPress back-end plugin integrated with the stats module of the popular JetPack plugin and broke the data down and displayed it in a manner consistent with the clients needs.
This plugin was developed with the following requirements/specifications:
- Integrate with JetPack and use the stats module to determine page views for posts for the given date range.
- The date ranges needed are ‘today’, ‘yesterday’, ‘past 7 days’ & ‘past 30 days’.
- The comment count for each article also needs to be captured and displayed.
- Once per hour, get the hottest trending articles and make them ‘sticky’.
- Display article URLs in order from most views to least
- limit the displayed URLs to 30 for the given time period
- For each author who has articles published during the time period, get the total number of articles that author published. Get the total number of comments their articles generated. Perform a calculation based on this data and with the author’s rate of pay and rank the value that each author is generating for the site.
- On a weekly basis, automatically send an email to each author with their performance metrics – also send this email to up to three admin users.
This particular WordPress plugin provided custom functionality to the client’s site enabling him to make important financial decisions with regards to the value and performance of each author. It also provided valuable feedback to each author, allowing them to custom tailor their writing to meet the needs of the website. All data was presented in a succinct and meaningful manner to the site admin at the click of a mouse.
Do you need custom metrics measurement for your multi-author blog? Contact me today!